Garlic scapes can be replaced with 2 garlic cloves. Pheasant can be replaced with chicken thighs. Pair with a sparkling rosé or your favorite brew.
- Serves: 4
- 1 1/2 pounds pheasant, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 garlic scapes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste (less if sensitive to heat)
- 14 ounces can of coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 pound peas, strings removed
- 4 spring onions, including green tops, sliced thinly at a sharp angle
- 1 cup radishes sliced thin using mandolin
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped or left whole
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- rice, for serving (optional)
- soy sauce, for serving (optional)
- Place pheasant in medium bowl and add fish sauce. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add garlic scapes and sauté 1 minute. Add curry paste and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in coconut milk and brown sugar and simmer until slightly thickened, about 6 minutes.
- Add pheasant and any accumulated juices and cook, breaking up pieces, about 5 minutes. Add peas and spring onions and cook until peas are crisp-tender, abut 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in radishes, basil, and lime juice. Season with soy sauce to taste.
- Serve with rice and extra soy sauce.