No grill? No problem. Bake at 400 and increase initial baking time from 7 to 10 minutes. There will likely be more stuffing than necessary depending on the size of zucchinis. Leftover stuffing reheats well.
- Serves: 4
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 12 ounces mushrooms (shiitake, cremini, etc.), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pearled faro
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 3/4 cup parmesan + more for serving
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Halve each zucchini lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and flesh so that walls are about 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and set cut-side down in colander to drain.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until desired crispness. Remove bacon with slotted spoon; set aside. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease.
- Add olive oil and sauté onion until translucent, 3–5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add garlic and farro, stirring, another 3–5 minutes. Add wine to mixture and cook until mostly absorbed.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to simmer, cover and cook about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, much of the moisture should be absorbed, but still saucy. Add kale and cook for another 1–2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add parmesan, reserved bacon, thyme, and parsley and stir until combined; set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill over medium-high heat, aiming for 400 degrees.
- Remove zucchinis from colander and blot any moisture with paper towel. Add pepper to zucchini boats.
- Once grill has preheated, place zucchinis on grill cut-side down. Close lid and grill for about 7 minutes, aiming to maintain temperature around 400 degrees.
- Remove zucchini from grill. Place zucchini cut-side up on a large cookie sheet. Scoop filling mixture into into zucchini boats. Remove zucchinis from pan and return to grill and cook for 5–6 minutes.
- Remove from grill. Allow to cool slightly. Enjoy!